God On The Balcony
Biswajeet Bora (Director) Noorul Sultan (Producer)
India. 2020. 89 min
The film is set in a remote village of Assam. It revolves around Khagen, a farmer, his wife Numali, and daughter, Kuwali. Numali dies in an unfortunate incident where she was crushed to death by wild Elephants. Khagen takes her to the hospital where she dies. The story narrates his relentless struggles to carry the dead body of his wife on his bicycle back home from the hospital due to the unavailability of an ambulance. As he walks through the pebbled roads with the body & his young daughter, he comes across two reporters and as a result, their journey turns to a different battle altogether.
Biswajeet Bora is an Indian filmmaker, producer, editor and writer and one of the renowned filmmakers from northeast India, now based in Mumbai. He worked with internationally acclaimed filmmaker Jahnu Barua for 6 years as an Assistant Director before making his first Hindi film titled AISA YEH JAHAAN which was India’s first carbon neutral film. Later he forayed into commercial cinema in Assam in 2016 with BAHNIMAN, which was one of the biggest hits in Assam. His next film RAKTABEEZ was also a commercial hit, released in 2018. In 2017, his film PEHUJALI got critical acclaim and recognition in various international film festivals. His latest film GOD ON THE BALCONY has been well received at international festivals, and he bagged BEST DIRECTOR award for the film GOD ON THE BALCONY which have been selected in National Competition Section: Competition on Indian Languages of 26th Kolkata International Film Festival.
1) A THOUSAND FIREFLIES SPARKLE (ASSAMESE) 2007 (AS DIRECTOR, PRODUCER, WRITER)
2) HUM HONGE KAMYAB (SHORT EFATURE FOR MUKESH KHANNA FILMS 2010) (AS DIRECTOR)
3) FOR INDIA (4D FILM IMAGICA THEME PARK) as LINE PRODUCTION (2011 – 2013)
4) AISA YEH JAHAAN (HINDI) 2015 (AS DIERCTOR, WRITER)
5) BAHNIMAN (ASSAMESE) 2016 (AS DIRECTOR, WRITER)
6) PEHUJALI (ASSAMESE) 2017 (AS DIRECTOR, PRODUCER, WRITER)
7) RAKTABEEZ (ASSAMESE) 2020 (AS DIRECTOR & WRITER)
8) LAKHIMI (ASSAMESE) 2019 (AS DIRECTOR, CO-PRODUCER, WRITER & EDITOR)
9) DHUYEIN SE DHUYEIN TAK (HINDI SHORT FEATURE) 2019 (AS DIRECTOR, CO PRODUCER, WRITER & EDITOR)
10) GOD ON THE BALCONY (ASSAMESE) 2020 (AS DIRECTOR, WRITER & EDITOR)
11) BOOBA RIDE (MISSING LANGUAGE) 2021 (AS DIRECTOR, WRITER & EDITOR)
I was born and brought up in Assam. Since childhood I have been witnessing these kind of real stories out there. People are suffering in different ways due to negligence and under development but very few care for these people’s grievances.
Their struggles to live life despite being suffocated in many ways, inspired me to take on this subject. Their little hopes, joys and happiness are what motivated me to pen this story of their daily struggle.
MAINA PRODUCTIONS: firstname.lastname@example.org